Monday, February 04, 2019

Musings about Beautiful Connecticut

I grew up on the South Shore of Long Island, a flat expanse of land that was an outwash plain from glaciers, leaving hilly areas with their rock carried by the glaciers further north.  These flat plains  lent themselves to suburban development after World War II.  Unfortunately in the process of quickly developing what had been farm land, there was very little of the old 'farm' feel by the 1950s.  The jewel of the South Shore, was (and remains) the beaches and in particular Jones Beach-still one of the largest and purest example of sandy beach to be found anywhere in the Northeast, and for that matter still ranks among the best beaches in the United States.

It seemed that each town or village had a small park with a pond that served as an inspiration for those looking for a little bit of nature.  There was a patch of woods that I remember playing in with my buddies. Probably less than an acre.

Now, as I travel throughout this area, I marvel at the beautiful rolling countryside, with many protected nature reserves.  When the weather gets a little warmer I'll hike in Trout Brook,  Brett Woods, or Devil's den.  Here are a few images that I've taken in Easton and Fairfield recently.







Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home